Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default What soil situation do I have?

On Apr 3, 2:18*pm, Richard wrote:
Hi. What soil situation do I have and what does it mean in terms of
gardening? *Thanks.

I live on a sandstone hill/prominence. Best top soil not too thick,
about 7 or 8 inches. *I think it drains well. *Not too deep (23cm)before
start getting to rocky sandy soil.

Pictures:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard...RY/garden.html

I have gardened in similar. Hilltop soils are often sand (or peat). It
is easy to cultivate but you will have problems in a drought. Nothing
does really well, all the nutrients get washed away. If you have a
Southerly aspect, soil warms up quickly.
Any compost/manure you add just disappears. Assuming no drought/lots
of watering, grows reasonable root crops. Poor brassicas and legumes.
Potatoes don't do badly given irrigation.
If it can be arranged, a lorry load of clay to mix well in would be a
big help. It's hard work spreading and mixing & a rotovator helps a
lot.
Clay comes free in some areas where they might have to pay to tip it.