Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Keeping bare root soft fruit

In article ,
says...

wrote:
The only problem I would have with that is that I've found blackcurrants
will fruit no matter what you do to them, and red and white currants will
only fruit if they feel like it. I'd be very nervous of pruning anything at
this time of year. But then, I'm notoriously light handed with the seceturs
around here.

Ah well, tis done now. The instructions that came with them quite strongly
emphasised that blackcurrants should be cut back almost to the base. Given
they started about 3' tall, I didn't feel that's the sort of thing that can
be ignored.

Poke the prunings into the ground, some if not most of them will root
and give you more bushes.

Janet