Old 03-04-2011, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default What soil situation do I have?

In article , says...

Hi. What soil situation do I have and what does it mean in terms of
gardening? Thanks.

I live on a sandstone hill/prominence. Best top soil not too thick,
about 7 or 8 inches. I think it drains well. Not too deep (23cm)before
start getting to rocky sandy soil.

Pictures:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard...RY/garden.html

It would be very helpful to know if there are any
rhododendrons/azaleas/camellias growing in nearby gardens, or heather on
wild hillside. Those would indicate an acid soil.

I live on an old raised beach above a sandstone cliff,when I started
gardening it 8 years ago our soil looked very like yours. What it needs is
lots of humus to enrich the soil and make it more water retentive. I apply
copious amounts of mulch (home made compost, animal manure, lawn
clippings, seaweed )...no digging in required, let the worms take it
down.. and the soil is now like rich darm chocolate cake.

Janet