Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default What soil situation do I have?

On Apr 3, 4:50*pm, Janet wrote:
In article , says...

Hi. What soil situation do I have and what does it mean in terms of
gardening? *Thanks.

I live on a sandstone hill/prominence. Best top soil not too thick,
about 7 or 8 inches. *I think it drains well. *Not too deep (23cm)before
start getting to rocky sandy soil.

Pictures:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard...RY/garden.html

* It would be very helpful to know if there are any
rhododendrons/azaleas/camellias growing in nearby gardens, or heather on
wild hillside. Those would indicate an acid soil.

* *I live on an old raised beach above a sandstone cliff,when *I started
gardening it 8 years ago our soil looked very like yours. What it needs is
lots of humus to enrich the soil and make it more water retentive. I apply
copious amounts of mulch (home made compost, animal manure, lawn
clippings, seaweed )...no digging in required, let *the worms take it
down.. and the soil is now like rich darm chocolate cake.

* *Janet

Sandy soil is always acid.