Old 04-04-2011, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andrew May Andrew May is offline

Default Willow Screen

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 16:27:08 +0100, Janet wrote:

I would seriously consider using groups of (different) coloured-stem
cornus for your screen; IME they are much more robust, stand coppicing
very well, and look particularly good when the leaves are off in winter.

pics at

http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/diaryjan04.html

Interesting. Cornus was my first choice but I rejected it because it is
slower growing and does not grow as high. I was hoping for something that
would go up to about 8' so as to go some way towards screening the
neighbours old cars and boats from our upstairs windows. It seems that
Cornus would take some time to get that high and it would be much more
bush shaped by the time it got there. Are there any varieties that are up
there with willow in the growth/height stakes?

Andrew