Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Gardeners World gone to seed

"Sacha" wrote ...
That was the very point Roy Lancaster made when we talked to him about
gardening progs last year. He said that as a 'new boy' he'd been told
to remember that what the customers were interested in was the plants
and how to treat them, not his face! I'm afraid we've just about given
up on GW. We had real hopes for an improvement in direction but it's
still far too much about people and not enough about plants and
gardening. There's no point in that. We'll be interested to see how
then ew Alan Titchmarsh programme works out.

That's the Producers fault, they think everyone in the UK subscribes to the
"cult of the celebrity" and wants to be entertained whereas I think
gardeners are one of the groups that doesn't much (except when it's real
experts in plants and presenting like Roy Lancaster).
Plants, plants and more plants with details and instructions is what we
want, not faces, in a lot of cases it's too many of those that make us enjoy
the quiet solitude of gardening even more.
Personally I think Monty is doing a good job, he is much more relaxed in his
own garden, whereas last time I couldn't get into the programmes and stopped
watching.

I wonder what the "Open University" making the programmes would be like?
Might then get those Latin names and more in-depth info.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden