Old 04-04-2011, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andrew May Andrew May is offline

Default Willow Screen

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 11:24:51 -0700, harry wrote:

Willow can grow really strongly, you will need to be prepared for some
serious wood cutting in only a short time. The roots may block your
stream/ditch too.
I have willow in my garden with trunks 8-9" diameter and twenty feet
high. They are about six years old.

Oh, I realise that. That is why I was planning on planting two rows and
coppicing them alternate years. That way they shouldn't have too much
chance of getting out of hand.

I was hoping I might get some recommendations as to the best varieties
for this, or a viable alternative that will satisfy the same requirements
in the same location. Janet's Cornuses (Cornii?) might be an alternative
if I can find one that grows fast enough to achieve the height.

Andrew