Old 05-04-2011, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Water from the top of my pool Tarp. Good for anything??

The Henchman wrote:
There ought to be nothing wrong with the water but I wonder if the
amount you can harvest to water plants would justify going to much
trouble. If instead the main aim is to remove the stinky pond by
putting it on the garden then go ahead.

David

----------

We can't garden till around May in my part of Canada. The ice just
melted the last few days. It snowed one inch last nite even. However,
the trees are starting to bud and the lawn is starting to
come to life. I would use the water primarily for the lawn only. It
just seems a waste to pump all the water to the street sewer. But
the ground has just thawed and is over saturated with water.

The town I live in has 5 wells and water is very expensive when
consumed, even in Canuckistan. A shame that 4 feet of snow melt gets
pumped into the sewer.

How much water could you save in barrels and how would you get it into them
and then on to the lawn? How stinky would that water be by the time you
needed it? How much would that be spread over your lawn? Would the benefit
be worth the trouble and cost? It is common to overestimate the amount of
benefit and underestimate the cost in these situations. Do the sums first.