Old 05-04-2011, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Bracken

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 11:43:27 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

The question of how to get rid of this comes up frequently on
Gardeners Question time (Radio).
It amazes me how ignorant these so-called "experts" come up with crap
about mowing and FK what else.

The answer is simple.
Go out and buy "Asulox".
Spray in July (there is little/no apparent effect).
Next year, no bracken grows.

Simples. What's wrong with these dopey pillocks?
It's been out for twenty years to my knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asulox

IME bracken's not a problem. In our last garden, we had a patch of
bracken in one corner of the garden. We got rid of it simply by
pulling up the fronds after they had grown to a certain size. Pull
them too soon when they're still soft and tender and they just snap
off, but get it right and up comes a brown bit of root. We just kept
pulling whenever we saw a frond of the right age, and it was all gone
in a couple of years with minimal effort.

Same here. Or you can do the job even faster with a toothed metal
blade on a brushcutter.(while the fronds are soft as hard mature stems
ones will blunt it fast)

Asulox is licensed for professional use; and it's highly toxic to
aquatics, not suitable for using near streams rivers or garden ponds.

Janet