Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Smudge Smudge is offline

Default Fish loss

On 05/04/2011 09:16, Gopher wrote:
In message , Bobbie
writes
On 04/04/2011 18:38, Rod wrote:

I will replace the fish but it will be some time before they reach the
numbers that were there a couple of weeks ago. They had lived and bred
there for over 9 years.

I don't want to fence the place too much as it's adjacent to
farmland on
three sides. Post and rail fences are in place to keep stock out
(although we've had the odd intruder) but I really prefer to avoid
turning the place into a fortress. Why don't they try our large
wildlife
pond at the end of the garden.... but then there's no fish in it that I
know of.

--
Gopher .... I know my place!- Hide quoted text -

I think you've got an otter feeding station - enjoy it ;-))

Rod

Absolutely! what a wonderful thing to have otters in the garden. I
think I would be more than happy to share. Shame about the fish, I
know how I felt when the heron took all mine one year, after which I
netted the pond. I now have a really large flourishing pond community,
but would gladly remove the nets if I thought I could encourage
otters. Not sure I would keep replacing the fish, that could become
expensive. What else do they eat?

Bobbie

The thing is that as otters (at least around here) seem to be mainly
nocturnal I haven't actually seen this band of bandits yet :-))

Nothing for it Gopher, you will have to set up a hide, and stay up all
night.
I did that when I discovered we had a family of hedgehogs living under a
shed.
It was worth the discomfort just to watch that prickly Mum and her young
stalking the slugs. I would certainly do it for otters. :-)

Bobbie