Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bracken

On 2011-04-05 08:19:55 +0100, harry said:

On Apr 4, 10:37 pm, Dave Hill wrote:
On Apr 4, 7:43 pm, harry wrote:

The question of how to get rid of this comes up frequently on
Gardeners Question time (Radio).
It amazes me how ignorant these so-called "experts" come up with crap
about mowing and FK what else.

The answer is simple.
Go out and buy "Asulox".
Spray in July (there is little/no apparent effect).
Next year, no bracken grows.

Simples. What's wrong with these dopey pillocks?
It's been out for twenty years to my knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Any "dopey pillock" who thinks anyone can go out and buy Asulox is
living in another world.
It is only available to professionals and is available in 5-litre
pack, which will treat 1/2 to 1 hectare, the cost is £90.
To purchase it you must have the relevant certificates, and preferably
a holding Number.
You then have to have the correct protective clothing and a suitable
sprayer.
For the amateur it is easier to use Glyphosate in July, bruising the
bracken before spraying and adding a few drops of washing up liquid to
the mix makes it more efficient, it will take a couple of years to do
the job, but at least you are legal.

You are talking ********. I have bought is in various places, no
questions asked. Vast quantities are use in hill farm areas. Can be
used in knapsack sprayer, tractor srayer or aerial.

I wouldn't touch it with a sterilised bargepole. Reading about it online
is enough to put anyone off if they care even slightly for their own
environment, never mind the larger one. Someone *in favour* of its
retention said "He said the decision reflected the fact that while the
scientific risk assessment for Asulam does reveal ‘major environmental
concerns’ with regards to its effect on birds and non-target terrestrial
plants, ‘the commercial reality is that we need more time to fully
develop alternatives for bracken control’."
http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/.../37723.article

NB
"major environmental concerns"

Bracken is a major environmental concern. It turns areas into
monoculture, and is carcinogenic to cattle. It is uncertain as to its
carcinogenic capability in humans.

I guess that it's a question of balance. Which would be considered
worse in a particular situation - bracken or Asulam?

--

Jeff