Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel rbel is offline

Default Wasp or bee?

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 15:20:00 +0200, wrote:

I realised last summer that I'm very bad at identifying bees which aren't
bumble or honey bees. I've taken a photo of something that was slugging
around on the allotment and I assumed it was a wasp, but having looked a
bit
closer (now it's HUGE rather than on a diddly screen), it looks a bit
more
hairy than I had thought, so have I mis-assigned it to the wasp family?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47493880@N00/5592174504/

A bit difficult to identify from the image (looking down is usually
better) but given the time of year it is likely to be Osmia rufa, the Red
Mason bee.

--
rbel