Old 05-04-2011, 10:51 PM
SheffieldGarden SheffieldGarden is offline
Registered User

Location: Yorkshire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttrim01 View Post
Hi
I would really appreciate some help in deciding what type of hedge to plant as a boundary hedge between us and the neighbours.

The hedge needs to be as dense as possible to give us some privacy from an extremely nosey and troublesome neighbour. We intend to grow the hedge to a height of around 6ft and it must act as a dense screen. Maybe prickly?
A Laurel hedge is a main contender at the moment because of its nice big leaves and i assume it will fill out fast.

We are looking to buy online and plant as soon as possible.

Thanks
Matt
Hi Matt,

Laurel is a good choice but sometimes difficult to prune neatly because of its large leaves.

Considering your requirements I would also consider Holley (Ilex) - A bit more slow to grow but makes a great hedge and really dense once established. Also Pyacantha (Firethorn). If you want prickly this is the way to go (2-3inch thorns!) Also quick growing and provides a nice dense hedge once established.

Hope this helps

Alex
Sheffield Gardener