Old 06-04-2011, 03:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Babysit a dog?

In article , Baz
writes
Sacha,
Not yet, but when a suitable female can be found Ronnie (his owner) will
encourage him.

NOT a good idea Baz!! Not if you want him to stay as a friendly pet dog.

A male that isn't neutered can be a problem for a start , he can go off
his food, or howl constantly or try and escape if there's a bitch in
season around. He will be seen as a rival by other entire males
unconnected with how friendly and charming he might be.
I always encouraged any of our puppy buyers to neuter their male dogs
before a year old (and females after 2)

Allowing him to become a sire would encourage and accentuate male
behaviour and unless you are an experienced dog owner it can be very
problematic!

If he's a breed with health problems then his owner ought to know what
pedigree lines he comes from and how suitable the bitch might be whose
owners want to be use him.

Just putting a few words of warning in. All in all if you really have
fallen in love with him then maybe just continuing to walk him
occasionally and have him to stay whilst the owner recuperates or goes
on holiday might suffice? Dogs really don't mind several walks a day and
would probably be waiting for you at their front door with the lead in
their mouth should you take up the extra exercise on a regular basis !

I hope it all goes well, enjoying the ownership of a dog can only enrich
your lives

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy