Old 06-04-2011, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne Suzanne is offline

Default Tiller?

"Steve Peek" wrote in message

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a new rear tine tiller? Due to my
disability I can no longer use my 30 year old troybuilt horse. I need
something big enough to cultivate over 4000 sq ft. but easily
manageable.
Thanks,
Steve

Sorry about your disability. Why do you prefer turning the ground
instead of no-dig (no-till) gardening? In part, no-dig gardening is
simplifying gardening for us geezers, the other part is to keep the work
that the earthworms and the network of fungal hyphae that gives soil
structure. This includes the mychorrhizal network that is important to
plants, more so for perennials, but still important for annuals.

It's not the turning, it's for shallow hoeing of the weeds between the
rows.

MULCH! Or just let them grow. That's what I do.
--S.