Old 06-04-2011, 03:37 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
Well, non-hive bee, at any rate, and certainly not a wasp. I can't
claim knowledge of all the bee species, though it would be nice if I
knew more than just "honey" for one lot and "bumble" for the rest.[/i][/color]

Sounds like my range. And "wasp" or "not a bee" for everything else. :-D

Whilst browsing found a ranty parentsnet/daily mail article about how 4 out
of 10 children couldn't tell a bee from a wasp.
Globally 99% of bee species are neither bumblebees nor honeybees. Though of course most bees in Britain are hbs and bbs. Identifying the more obscure bees and wasps is well beyond the ability of most children, but I expect they are just talking about the common yellow-and-black wasps vs honeybees and bumblebees. The great majority of wasps look nothing like the black-and-yellow stinging things.

The actual classification of the hymenoptera is that ants are a well defined group, bees are a well-defined group (and nearly all bees are hairy, if you look closely enough, though not necessarily all over or very hairy), and the rest of the hymenoptera (which nearly all aren't hairy) are wasps. So that is a bit like how amniotes are divided into well-defined groups of birds and mammals, with reptiles being the rest.