Old 06-04-2011, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Does Ranunculus come back?

On 4/5/11 5:24 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I put a bunch of yellow Ranunculus about 1-1/2 months ago; cost me
quite a bit. They looked gorgeous, then began shedding blooms.

Question: Do they re-bloom? I have little experience with bulbs,
etc; perennials where you have to dig up & replant next year. Doesn't
seem like they should be ending so fast. This is So. Calif coastal; a
mild Mediterranean climate.

What research I have done on-line seems to say that they DO bloom
"through midsummer".

I took pix, but now can't find them g

Anybody in a comparable climate have input on this?

HB

Please remind me: What is your "comparable climate"?

My ranunculus bloom once a year. They are blooming right now.

I groom (deadhead) them as the petals fall, leaving the foliage. When
the foliage dies and the long stems dry out, I gently pull the stems out
of the soil, leaving the tubers in the ground. They boom again the
following spring.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean