Old 06-04-2011, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default flower ideas sought for very thin poor soil area

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 20:37:08 +0100, The Night Tripper
wrote:

Hi All
there is a very small patch of soil (about 0.5m by 2.5m) close to our
house, in a corner near where cars turn. It's more-or-less created by soil
and general detritus washing down the road and collecting there - there's no
depth to speak of.

Currently a few self-seeding weeds grow there. I would like some ideas as to
what seeds I might sow there which might (a) grow and (b) give 'attractive'
flowers, just to tart up the corner.

I imagine both the thinness of the soil, and the fact that cars turn nearby,
might be a disadvantage. I was thinking of 'old bombsite' type plants - old
man's beard? - but any suggestions gratefully received.

We're on the south coast in generally chalky soil BTW.

Thanks a lot
J^n

Wild flower seeds are supposed to do well in poor soil.
I'd stick a nasturtian or three in as they grow quite insanely when
they get going.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk