Old 06-04-2011, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default Tiller?

On Apr 5, 12:37*pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion for a new rear tine tiller? Due to my
disability I can no longer use my 30 year old troybuilt horse. I need
something big enough to cultivate over 4000 sq ft. but easily manageable.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
I got a bit less than half of your lot and after I got most of the
heavy work out of the way preparing the soil (scree rock and big fir
roots in heavy wet clay), the little 2 cycle works well. Just get a
quality model. They are very light weight, relatively inexpensive,
easier to maneuver around, tills and weeds quick, mixes in compost
materials and nutes pretty good. Lot easier on the old joints than
taking the big one out for a spin. Have to say if you hit a good size
rock or a root it will jump on ya much more than the old heavy B&Ss.
Still you have lots of area to work.