Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default flower ideas sought for very thin poor soil area

In message , The
Night Tripper writes
Hi All
there is a very small patch of soil (about 0.5m by 2.5m) close to our
house, in a corner near where cars turn. It's more-or-less created by soil
and general detritus washing down the road and collecting there - there's no
depth to speak of.

Currently a few self-seeding weeds grow there. I would like some ideas as to
what seeds I might sow there which might (a) grow and (b) give 'attractive'
flowers, just to tart up the corner.

I imagine both the thinness of the soil, and the fact that cars turn nearby,
might be a disadvantage. I was thinking of 'old bombsite' type plants - old
man's beard? - but any suggestions gratefully received.

Did you mean Clematis vitalba, or something else (e.g. Chamaerion
angustifolium - rosebay willow herb or fireweed)?

Perhaps corn poppies would do. You do find them growing in the same sort
of scraps of soil as frequented by shepherd's purse and thale cress and
ivy leaved speedwell. (I don't know how they handle lime.)

We're on the south coast in generally chalky soil BTW.

Thanks a lot
J^n

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley