Old 07-04-2011, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Does Ranunculus come back?

On Apr 6, 8:05*am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 4/5/11 5:24 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I put a bunch of yellow Ranunculus about 1-1/2 months ago; cost me
quite a bit. They looked gorgeous, then began shedding blooms.

Question: *Do they re-bloom? * I have little experience with bulbs,
etc; perennials where you have to dig up & replant next year. *Doesn't
seem like they should be ending so fast. *This is So. Calif coastal; a
mild Mediterranean climate.

What research I have done on-line seems to say that they DO bloom
"through midsummer".

I took pix, but now can't find them g

Anybody in a comparable climate have input on this?

HB

Please remind me: *What is your "comparable climate"?

I'm in Santa Monica, about a mile from the beach.

My ranunculus bloom once a year. *They are blooming right now.

I groom (deadhead) them as the petals fall, leaving the foliage. *When
the foliage dies and the long stems dry out, I gently pull the stems out
of the soil, leaving the tubers in the ground. *They boom again the
following spring.

Damn! I sure didn't get much ****ing bloom out of THAT expenditure!
Area looks like dog-doo.

Nie wieder!

Now I have to wait around, if I understood you right, to pull out the
stems, leaving the tubers in the ground, TAKING UP THE SPACE that more
cooperative plants could have occupied! I can't leave that area
vacant for a whole ****ing YEAR!. Instead of leaving tubers in the
ground, can I pull them out and replant them next year (if we are all
spared)?

If so:

a. How should I store them?

b. Given that the ones I bought at the nursery may well have been
"forced", how can I anticipate when to replant the tubers? My micro-
climate and yours are not quite the same. I answered that above --
I'm in Santa Monica, about a mile from the beach, and I think you're
in the Valley somewhere?

TIA

HB

HB