Old 07-04-2011, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Would it harm my Rose bush if cigarette ash was flicked into the soil?

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 22:37:02 +0000, Sultana Wahab
wrote:

Jake;916778 Wrote:
On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 22:00:00 +0000, Sultana Wahab
wrote:
-

Apologies if the above question sounds stupid. A nice response
appreciated.
Thanks for reading -

Reading the preceding postings which partly relate to the health
disbenefits of smoking, you talk about
"flicking" of cigarette ash.

The volume of ash resulting from the average cigarette is miniscule in
relation to the amount of soil surrounding the plant roots. It is also
miniscule in relation to the volume of foliage

on any respectable
plant.

So the answer is essentially "don't worry".
But, as an apologetic ex-filthy-anti-social-habit-smoker, I'm really
intrigued as to why you've asked the question.

- I'm not good with words and I'll try and explain why I asked the
question.
The Rose bush has been around for some years and I'm now attached to
it. It's pretty and makes me smile. Mistakes have been made and I was
just concerned.
During the cold periods when I'm stood by it, it brings me some kind of
warm comfort.

That's a good attitude, and ample reason for asking. Plants are living
things, and we do have relationships with them.

It's only a frigging Rose bush, I know.

No, no! That's *not* a good attitude! You're among gardeners, so you
can stick with your true feelings.

Do note what some of us said a few days ago, though: the ash is safe,
but on the whole, it's best not to put dogends on the garden or in the
compost because of the slight risk of plant disease.

--
Mike.