Old 07-04-2011, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Preen

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 08:49:00 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On 6 Apr 2011 20:25:11 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

Has anyone used Preen? It claims to stop weeds, does it work?

Yes, but make sure you follow the instructions. Don't put it anywhere
you are going to plant seeds. Wait until after they have sprouted. I
am thinking about putting it down pretty soon where my tomato plants
are going.

Why not use newsprint and mulch to suppress weeds? It works well for me,
and keeps the worms happy.

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

The mulch distributor suggested Preen when I told him that the horse
bedding mulch that I bought from him last year was full of pokeweed seeds.

The mulch distributor told you that the mulch was full of pokeweed
seeds? And this year, what's his prognostication on the pokeweed
content? I suspect that newsprint is cheaper than Preen oil. Worst case
scenario is that you add young pokeweed leaves to your salads, along
with the dandelions, or serve them like spinach.
http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Phytolacca%20americana
http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h284.htm

I just paid $18 for a bale of alfalfa. That's a little pricey, but it
will hold down the newsprint, and last me all season long.

In his garden every man may be his own artist without apology or
explanation.
--Â*Â*Louise Beebe Wilder

Like a few other plants we eat are not poke weed berries toxic similar
to rhubarbs leaves or the nightshade family?

Similar, I don't know. Potentially poisonous? Yes. Which is why I gave
references. (This is not a safe world for fools.) But, moreover,
pokeweed berries make a damn fine ink, if anyone is still working in the
Paper Age. A few chicken feathers, some wood pulp, and you'll be ready
to revisit the 12th Century that our Republican guides are leading us to.

Bush's 3rd term: Obama

If you like weekends (8 hr./day & 40 hr./week), then thank a labor union.
They paid for it in blood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_affair

=
--
- Billy
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.