Old 09-04-2011, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Does Ranunculus come back?

On Apr 7, 7:44*am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
Ranunculus tubers should be planted in October or November. *Contrary to
some, the dry tubers do not need to be soaked in water before planting.
*There should be some bone meal under the tubers but not touching them.

I didn't know about the optimum planting time. Never planted tubers
before AFAIK. As mentioned earlier, I bought the ranunculus from the
nursery when they were in full, gorgeous bloom, which didn't last very
****ing long! Live & learn!

I would leave them in the ground. *The survival rate is better than if
you remove them.

As long as you don't plant directly on top of a dormant tuber, you can
plant summer annuals near them. *When the annuals die, cut them down;
don't pull them out, which might pull out ranunculus tubers that have
become entangled in the annuals' roots.

My garden is planted with perennials, bulbs, shrubs, subshrubs, and
ground cover. *I have ranunculus in my rose bed along with freesias and
narcissus. *The bed also contains evergreen daylilies, narcissus,
cuphea, primroses, low Camellia sasanqua, and blue fescue. *The back of
the bed has dwarf Burford holly. *One end has a clump of pink Penstemon..

Sounds gorgeous; well thought out.

*The entire bed is covered with pink clover (Persicaria).

I think it was you who advised the pink clover? Whoever it was, I did
put in a LOT of them in a back area between several large planters.
Helps define an area that would otherwise look somewhat desolate.
Coming along nicely. I understand they spread on their own, yay!
-
The ranunculus, freesias, and narcissus bloom only in the late winter
and into the spring, before the roses and daylilies bloom. *When they
die down and go dormant, the rest of the plants in the bed provide more
than enough interest.

Thanks for that. However, I'm going to try for some perennials in
that area rather than annuals. Something bright yellow (sort of a
theme in this area).

*** Any suggestions? ***

As to the ****ing ranunculus, I just don't want to be bothered with a
few months of bloom in exchange for most of the year barren. As soon
as the foliage dies, per your earlier advice, I plan to take up the
tubers and put them somewhere where they can do their thing less
obtrusively.

Your input much appreciated.

HB