Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default What pollinates apples, besides bees?

"Ted Shoemaker" wrote in message
What pollinates apples, besides bees?

I'd like to plant apple trees -- only a couple -- in my yard.

If I must have honeybees, then I'll look into the details of that.
But honeybees, who wander far, are likely to run into insecticides. I
live in a city, next to lots of neighbors and even a school. There's
no way to prevent them all from using bug-killer.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

You're going to need honeybees. Neither apples nor honeybees are native to
North America, so there's no specific pollinator for the apples. Other
insects will work the blossoms, so pollination may occur but I would expect
the fruiting to be spotty.