Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Owen Graupman

Default what's better for substrate? Lacerite or Flourite?

Its funny how you read something you wrote just the day before and can't
understand why you wrote it...Chuck is right, it doesn't leach anything into
the water column. I knew that, so why did write that? Silly me.

Anyway, the algae problem I experience with uncovered flourite is a thick
'carpet' algae that covers exposed flourite. This only occurs for me in new
tanks. Once fast growing plants in the tank take over, the algae slowly
disappears. In tanks where I've covered the flourite, I haven't had this
carpet algae.

"Chuck Gadd" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:45:33 -0700, "Owen Graupman"
wrote:

always had too many problems with algae in the tank (I think it leaches

too
much iron into the water column, particularly when its new).

It absolutely doesn't leach anything into the water.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua