Old 09-04-2011, 06:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default What pollinates apples, besides bees?

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Ted Shoemaker wrote:
What pollinates apples, besides bees?

I'd like to plant apple trees -- only a couple -- in my yard.

If I must have honeybees, then I'll look into the details of that.
But honeybees, who wander far, are likely to run into insecticides. I
live in a city, next to lots of neighbors and even a school. There's
no way to prevent them all from using bug-killer.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Honey bees are the best and most common pollinator but American native
bees also work. Wind pollination is insignificant.

You do not need honey bees just for pollination. Just hang a mason bee
house in your tree sorta like a bird house.

http://www.gardeners.com/Mason-Bee-H...FQnrKgode2YjDQ