Old 09-04-2011, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Planting Onions

Baz wrote:
Actually, maybe my success is due to the fact that I rarely remember
to plant my onion sets until they have a huge chunk of green sticking
out of the top. :-)

Spot on!
I always have left onions and garlic until I can see where I can plant them
after everything else has been planted. Finding a spot in a kitchen garden
is impossible when in the planning stage. A few spots in the asparagus bed?
A small gap after the broad beans have been gobbled up? The allium bed is
where we can find a gap for and that means anywhere there is space for.
This is only my view.

Heh, I do that with leeks. I have leeks all over the place atm!
But the onions cover about 1/4 the plot (and potatoes about 1/2 or more!).
I have just put in my 7th row! (First white row)