Old 10-04-2011, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Which tree?

On Apr 9, 9:55*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
Hello,

I need to plant a tree to provide some privacy from neighbours. It must be
one that won't grow more than 12 tall, absolute tops. I'd like something
that is fast growing, and graceful-looking (not a conifer). The soil is
very alkaline, stony and rather lacking in humous. Is there a weeping
willow that doesn't grow more than 12ft tall? Otherwise, perhaps a cherry
tree or something. I'm open to suggestions. Ideally, it'll be one whose
branches spread out somewhat. I love on the South Coast of England near the
sea.

Thank you,

Al

No tree grows fast to a specific hieght and then just stops.
If you want a small tree, it will grow slowly.
If you want a fast growing tree, it will be big.
At some point it will need to be trimmed/cut back.