Old 10-04-2011, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.birds

Default Blackbird has made us 'down tools'

On 10/04/2011 12:55, john brook wrote:
Was Just about to chop down a badly positioned Leylandii type tree in the
garden and discovered that's where a blackbird is bringing a mouthful of
worms to every few minutes.

I want to start work on the tree; but i dont want to keep peering into the
nest and worry them.

How long roughly should I wait before the nest is likely to be cleared of
the babies and I can check them?

On a tangent; blackbirds can be quite friendly. On one occasion I was
digging up soil to make a small garden pond and putting each spadeful
into a wheelbarrow. A young blackbird perched on the barrow and
carefully inspected every spadeful of earth - I had to wait until it
hopped onto the side of the wheelbarrow again before depositing the next
load in there. It somehow knew I was no threat to it and had some tasty
worms / grubs for it in the soil.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.