Old 10-04-2011, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Compost question

In message , writes
In article ,
Gopher wrote:

My question is it reasonable to compost the nettles, thistles, docks
etc. which I have dug up (ensuring roots left in the soil)? The foliage
has been separated from any roots and is waiting its fate. To compost
with the aid of the normal compost heap or should it be taken to the
tip? I know that nettles are supposed to be helpful when composted but
am not so sure about the others.

I compost the lot, roots and all, and have no trouble.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I just noticed an error in my original post. I have ensured the roots
are _not_ left in the soil.

Since posting, my wife has told me that she has been told that dock
leaves should not be composted. This from a local farmer's wife. Dare I
disagree?... :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!