Old 10-04-2011, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default OK to use ammonia on edible plants.

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

When trying to get a message over it is folly to shout abuse in your
listener's face because that will ensure they never get the message.
You
defeat yourself without the opposition doing a thing. This is religious
behaviour and not rational.

He wasn't a listener, he was an accuser. (snip)

If my perception of reality is offensive to you, I
think you should kill file me.

Why don't you think about using your own killfile rather than arguing with
people who you find offensive or irritating?

This is after all a gardening group and unfortuantely there is less and
less gardening disussion every week. It's getting to the point where it's
almost not worth reading these days.

I couldn't agree more. The current population of "political evangelists" and
arrogant academics is quite disconcerting. We used to ask and answer
gardening questions in an attempt to help ourselves and others produce food.
Today almost everyone wants to get up on their soapbox and preach their new
religion or answer questions from a book (rather than actual experience).
This group is slowly dying, it's a real shame.
Steve

I agree, without this continuous piling-on we could have moved on to
gardening matters instead of turning mole hills into mountains, just so
someone else could voice THEIR opinion. It's a real pity.

Steve, what are you doing different this year in your garden? What
problems are you trying to fix. Fran, how did your garden do this year?
What did you learn? What will you do different next year?

It almost made me ill yesterday to be pulling potato plants out of the
bed in which they grew last year. I had no idea that potatoes could be
so invasive. They have been moved to another bed that is less ideal, but
that is where they will remain. Growing so many varieties of Solanaceae
(potatoes, tomatoes, peppers) that it's difficult to get any kind of
crop rotation going.

Our tomatoes have germinated, as have the squash (zukes and crooks), and
brocolli. Peas are in the ground and we're about to plant more to fill
in one trellis and start another. Some of the peas have died. Not sure
if it's lack of water, or insects, but most are fine. Had our first
serving of Swiss chard. I think I over did it with my attempts to gussy
it up with bacon and onion.

Need to do some weeding today. It's mostly henbit. I'm hoping to make a
salad from some of the kill, along with dandelion and stinging nettle.
My other weeds are also mint (spear & pepper). They make my tisanes
(hawthorn, yarrow) taste more drinkable as I don't use honey.

OK, who's next? Don't be bashful. We got a gardening group to run here,
right? ;O)

If you like weekends (8 hr./day & 40 hr./week), then thank a labor union.
They paid for it in blood. Real working class heros.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_affair

http://www.timeagan.com/MT/Deep%20Cover/
=
--
- Billy
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.