Old 10-04-2011, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Tiller?

"Steve Peek" wrote:
"Gunner" wrote in message
On Apr 5, 12:37 pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion for a new rear tine tiller? Due to my
disability I can no longer use my 30 year old troybuilt horse. I need
something big enough to cultivate over 4000 sq ft. but easily manageable.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
I got a bit less than half of your lot and after I got most of the
heavy work out of the way preparing the soil (scree rock and big fir
roots in heavy wet clay), the little 2 cycle works well. Just get a
quality model. They are very light weight, relatively inexpensive,
easier to maneuver around, tills and weeds quick, mixes in compost
materials and nutes pretty good. Lot easier on the old joints than
taking the big one out for a spin. Have to say if you hit a good size
rock or a root it will jump on ya much more than the old heavy B&Ss.
Still you have lots of area to work.

Thanks Gunner, at least someone has an actual suggestion. I had a small 2
stroke that pretty much took the place of the hoe on most occasions, but I
actually plant a "green manure" crop on areas not in current use. In order
for that to be effective it must be turned in at least shallowly. I'm
looking at the Troybuilt Super Bronco. It seems to be the only real choice
for a mid-size tiller. The tilling path is only 17 inches so my row crops
can be closer together and more food produced from the same area.

Steve
(who actually grows and preserves a large portion of what his family eats
year round, not just a few summer veggies)

If you have money to burn about $50k. How about a small compact tractor.
They can mow the lawn, can add a five foot tiller, front loader, remove the
snow, rear baggers for lawn clippings and small enough to fit in your
garage. About the size of mid size car.

Easy on the back but hard on the wallet.