Old 10-04-2011, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Compost question

In message ,
Janet writes
In article , says...

I've had a go at clearing (just a bit) of the thistles, docks and
nettles) in my wildlife patch at the end of the garden. The native
wildflowers were becoming choked as originally the land was farmland and
is, sadly, rather rich for most wildflowers which get smothered by the
more aggressive weeds. However nettles etc. are preferred food plants
for butterflies so it's been more of a culling rather than an
eradication exercise.

My question is it reasonable to compost the nettles, thistles, docks
etc. which I have dug up (ensuring roots left in the soil)? The foliage
has been separated from any roots and is waiting its fate.

In summer I go out in the field to harvest large quantities of growing
thistles and nettles (green, before seeding, roots included) for the
compost heap. My heaps get very hot (nettles are a good compost activator)
and I've never had a problem with either plant returning from the dead to
haunt me. They make great compost.

Docks are a different matter, spawn of the devil. I reckon their roots
would survive a nuclear attack and spring back to life a week later, so I
never put those in the compost.

Janet

Thanks Janet. I thought that would be the case although I have been
conservative and disposed of most of the roots. The way nettles spread I
was wary. However, the dockens have gone in - but leaves only and
nowhere near as many as of the other two weeds. Roots have gone to the
great root furnace. I've still got quite a lot of nettles to harvest
without affecting the butterflies. I think I got most of the real
thistles ... there are a few of the milky, green variety skulking at
lower levels. Their days are numbered!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!