Old 11-04-2011, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Tree Types For A Boggy Soil.....

AlexBG wrote:

My wife and I are doing major overhaul of our garden - one aspect that I
want to change is to give us a bit of privacy, so I am really wanting to
plant some fast growing trees around the edge of my property.

The only problem is that my soil is not of the best quality - I've lived
in this house for over 10 year now, and the soil is really "boggy"
during the winter & when it rains heavily, however it does eventually
improve during the warmer months. Is there any fast growing screening
trees that would survive in my particular soil type?

I was considering purchasing some Leylandii trees - I have some of these
at the front of the house where the soil seems to be of a better quality
- these are really flourishing at the moment, would these be suitable in
the boggy soil? I really don't want to go and spend a fortune on plants,
only for these to die when they are planted - so any advice would be
greatly appreciated!

I'd consider building a berm and then plant atop that.
http://www.sustland.umn.edu/implement/soil_berms.html