Old 11-04-2011, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Tiller?

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Apr 10, 3:19 pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:

a handful of ramps and morels with
a few eggs is a meal fit for royalty.

Here in the PNW, its chantrelles and camas

We get the chanterelles here, but it's a late June through July thing. I
like to drop a chanterelle into vodka and let it soak for a month or so.
It's the ultimate martini.

My home area was settled mostly by Scots/Irish folks with no traditions of
mushroom foraging. I remember my mother telling the kids that all those
toadstools were poisonous. In my rebellious teenage years I decided to prove
her wrong and began a lifelong study of fungi. Don't get me wrong, there was
never any money for college but I did finish high school (eventhough I was
married before graduation). I was self taught, foraging and eating wild
fungi from drawings. It scares the hell out of me now, it's so easy to screw
up & be seriously poisoned. Years later I discovered a mushroom club and my
education continues to this day.