Old 11-04-2011, 11:56 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
Hi, I am new to gardenBanter through desperation at losing all my fish (30+) to a Heron. We have a decoy - obviously useless! but wondered if anyone has had success with anything else? We want to re-stock but only when we have made it safe from this horrible bird. Thanks.
Hi Purplegirl, once a heron finds a pond, it will empty it !! They normally come around 7am in the morning !! Decoys can work but also as the heron has to actually walk into the pond (as it cant land actually in it) one good thing is to have a wire positioned about 15" high just back from the edge to stop it walking to the pond ! now this might be impossible for you but it does work.
Dont be talked into having thngs for the fish to hide under in the water as all it will do is to stand motionless until they come out and then grab them.
one of those childrens windmills might help as well, get as big a one as you can find, they dont like the movement or the noise they make.
Hope this helps, Lannerman.