Old 12-04-2011, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default fox deterent

"AKingsley" wrote in message

We have recently started putting down coffee grounds to try deterring
foxes, especially where they dig under our fence. I can't say yet
whether it is being effective, although no foxes have been in that area
since we have been doing this. Does anyone have any experience of this?

I've read that a man peeing where they try to come in works or to put out
lion dung. Since lions are a bit rare in most places, I'd try fixing the
fence. Use heavy duty bird or chicken wire, attach it firmly to posts but
make sure that it is laid out 30cm flat ont he ground on the foxward side of
the fence. Grass will grow through it and, in effect, peg it down to the
ground. The Fox isn't smart enough to look at this layout and figure that
it just needs to move back 30 cm and dig under the edge of the wire.