Old 12-04-2011, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Lavender

"BeTu" wrote
(Will Renkel) wrote:
cshenk wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote

I live in zone 5, and wonder how I should treat Lavender before the
season starts....do I need to cut back last years growth? Thanks

Lavender hardiness depends on the species, but I am not aware of any
that will survive a winter in USDA zone 5 or even zones 6 and 7.

It's happy to overwinter in zone7 (I'm a 7B on the edge of 6, Virginia
Beach
area).

Im in zone 5 and have the same plants for 4 or 5 years
and still growing strong.
over winter do nothing special

Thanks for all the feedback folks! Very helpful. Have a great summer!

Welcome BeTu! I don't do anything with mine at all except in Spring. I
trim back anything not greening up. I wait for it to green up for 2 weeks
before deciding what to trim. Some years, it's nothing. This year due to
Norfolk area getting several feet of snow (big one was 24 inches in my yard
and covered the plant as a drift 4ft tall was over it), I probably was close
to zone5 for what such plants expect. I'll need to trim a bit of some of
the top it looks like, but it's more like the weight of the snow crushed
some of it's fragile stems. It's 3ft or so tall and is getting a 'haircut'
to about 2.5 feet in a few spots.