Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Anton Valouev

Default Algae removal- SAEs, otos, or plecos?

What about siamese algae eaters? A few years ago I had been burned by a

few
that I now believe were Chinese algae eaters and all they did was chase

fish
around and pretend to clean algae. Are SAEs totally non-agressive like

otos
are? For a 15 gal tank, do they stay nice and small like otos? I don't

like
to overpopulate my tank with algae eaters and force the more decorative

fish
out.

SAE are absolutely great fish to have. Besides the fact that they do
unbelieavable job on cleaning the plants, they are very beautiful schooling
fish that is very peacefull and playfull. When I saw them first in LFS, they
didn't impress me at all. But when I've put them in the tank, they just turn
out to be so decorative fish. Great fish to have. I'm even thinking to set
up a tank just for them. Great fish. Make sure you buy a true SAE, as they
are hard to find in the US.