Old 14-04-2011, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Mabuka honey in IOW

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:23:14 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

A friend tells me that she heard on the Today programme that they are
now producing manuka honey on the Isle of Wight.
Can anyone (Mike?) expand on this?

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Mike and Janet for the input.
I don't have time to "Listen again" to the 3 hours of Today and the
web site doesn't seem to show it.
Sorry aabout the typo in subject line.
Manuka honey is generally only available as import from NZ. Very
tasty and with health-giving, antibiotic properties, and very
expensive. I originally bought it in NZ and have seen the
leptospermum bushes growing over large areas.
I don't see how they can restrict the bees only to those bushes in an
area like IOW where there must be plenty of choice of plants for bees.
If the bees foraging far and wide it won't be pure Manuka honey.

Pam in Bristol