Old 15-04-2011, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Donwill[_2_] Donwill[_2_] is offline

Default Which tree?

On 09/04/2011 21:55, AL_n wrote:
Hello,

I need to plant a tree to provide some privacy from neighbours. It must be
one that won't grow more than 12 tall, absolute tops. I'd like something
that is fast growing, and graceful-looking (not a conifer). The soil is
very alkaline, stony and rather lacking in humous. Is there a weeping
willow that doesn't grow more than 12ft tall? Otherwise, perhaps a cherry
tree or something. I'm open to suggestions. Ideally, it'll be one whose
branches spread out somewhat. I love on the South Coast of England near the
sea.

Thank you,

Al

Have a word with your neighbours before planting, have a civilised
conversation regarding your concerns re privacy,
discuss the merits of screening, tell them you would like to plant a
tree and see if they have suggestions and would
it interfere with their view, or light requirements etc.
It's so much better to chat rather than find you've upset them by your
actions.I've always done that with neighbours
and found that it pays to have good relations, it's invariably reciprocated.
Don