Old 15-04-2011, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Mabuka honey in IOW

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:23:14 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

A friend tells me that she heard on the Today programme that they are
now producing manuka honey on the Isle of Wight.
Can anyone (Mike?) expand on this?

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Mike and Janet for the input.
I don't have time to "Listen again" to the 3 hours of Today and the
web site doesn't seem to show it.
Sorry aabout the typo in subject line.
Manuka honey is generally only available as import from NZ. Very
tasty and with health-giving, antibiotic properties, and very
expensive. I originally bought it in NZ and have seen the
leptospermum bushes growing over large areas.
I don't see how they can restrict the bees only to those bushes in an
area like IOW where there must be plenty of choice of plants for bees.
If the bees foraging far and wide it won't be pure Manuka honey.

Pam in Bristol

Other than what has been said here or what I have found out on the net, I am
afraid that nothing has come to light here on the Isle of Wight yet. The
County Press have not come back to me and I have not been in touch with the
studios at Vectis Radio yet. Don't know what happened last night as I was
out at a Lodge meeting.

It's a pity this didn't come up a few days ago as I had the afternoon in the
Studios being interviewed, I could have brought the subject up! However,
they have asked me to do a series of slots of maybe a couple of hours, BUT,
as you will hear on the recording below, they will be on Classical Music!!
How do I introduce Bees and their honey in a Classical Music
programme????????

http://calderjon.podomatic.com/entry...19_52_03-07_00

Will keep you informed :-)

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive