Old 15-04-2011, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Labels

On 15/04/2011 20:57, Dave Hill wrote:
We have been going on about fading labels for a long time.
How about some lateral thinking.
How about dark or blach labels and white ink?

My latest method works fine. I too got fed up of labels fading or simply
going missing or the dog wandering off with them. I've got a big bag
full of wooden lolly sticks which I got dirt cheap from one of those £1
shop type places. I write on both sides (in opposite directions) using a
black indelible marker pen. With seed trays I put them in at the edge
almost completely on their side so barely any is above the surface for
the dog to pull out. Then when I plant seedlings in the garden I put the
wooden label inside a white plastic milk bottle fasten on the cap and
bury it in the ground next to the seedlings with only the bottom of the
bottle showing. This has worked well - I've overwintered four different
varieties of cabbage and wanted to see which did the best. The labels
remain in perfect condition. They can't be lost either due to the size
of the bottle they are safely kept in!

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.