Old 16-04-2011, 02:56 AM
uriel13 uriel13 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soren Fledger View Post
Is there a way to measure as to how much limit or amount of charcoal ash may be added to compost mixing? I know it has been mentioned that it may not be beneficial but thinking about the process that it may help start and develop throughout composting, it may be enough to put interest in it. I am just thinking about amounts, parts or ratios to soil and other contents.
Hi Soren,

Ash has little or no long lasting effect in the soil, however charcoal, especially if inoculated with nutrient will have great longevity within the soil.

The ratio of compost to charcoal is 2:1, as to ingredients for said inoculation, it is your preference as to what you see as a good inoculation mixture.

Personally I use blood, fish and bone granules together with molasses in liquid form poured over the charcoal in hot liquid form and allowed to soak for at least 48 hours. The charcoal is then allowed to sun dry and used in the ratio as stated.

I use a shredder to mix the charcoal and compost together to ensure that said charcoal is thoroughly mixed in a finer form.

See my previous posts.

uriel13

The mind is like a parachute it is totally useless unless it is open