Old 15-04-2011, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Any tips for buying citrus plants?

"Jin" wrote in message

I want to buy Lemon and Lime trees but the cheapest I can find them for
is £30 - anyone know anywhere cheaper?

Thanks!

Jin

I know you want a quick result, but if you're young and into "slow", then I
can recommend growing from seed. I have a lovely mandarin lemon tree grown
from a seed found in my gin & lime drink in Costa Rica in 1994. It flowers,
and I have had a few small fruits showing up, although I don't treat it
nicely enough that the fruits stay on. I also have some elderly trees grown
from grapefruit and orange seeds when I lived in a crappy bedsit in Kilburn
in 1973. They never flower but, hey, they're like family, I can't just get
rid of them.

Following my recent holiday in Vietnam, I now have some kumquat seeds from
near Ho Chi Minh's tomb, and the little house he lived in nearby. They've
just sprouted and are coming up and I have high hopes for them. Viet
kumquats are not like the ones we think of, they're completely circular. I
am looking forward to Uncle Ho's kumquats, except I'll probably be dead by
the time they produce :-)

Good luck with your search.

someone