Old 16-04-2011, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Rod's Garden

On 2011-04-15 22:17:36 +0100, Spider said:

On 13/04/2011 20:00, Rod wrote:
Just uploaded some photos taken yesterday.
It's very much a work in progress - none of it is more than 18 months
old.
After 40 odd years as a pro this is the first real garden of my very
own.
The brief from my wife was simple - Flowers, then more flowers and
more again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sylvan4

Rod

Amazingly beautiful! *It's *just* the sort of garden I love, but
especially the Erythroniums. *I lost mine last year, but you've
inspired me to have another go.

Your workshop and its products are astonishing. *Excellent carpentry.
You're amazing!

Thank you for sharing your world with us.

I love the 'dirty work bench'. *It looks like an immaculate kitchen -
what a fantastic environment for doing lovely work - that sideboard is
just beautiful.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

The said 'dirty work bench' isn't dirty at all Sacha - it's for dirty
work like sharpening the chainsaw. It's a bit of old worktop with a
vice mounted that I lift onto the nice woodwork bench to do the dirty
stuff. A sort of compromise solution because woodwork and metalwork
don't mix very well.
We love bulbs as is patently obvious - I'm a particular sucker for the
small and dainty like the erythroniums and fritillaries and there
aren't enough daffodils in the world for my wife. We left a lot of the
later narcissi at the garden cottage (a retirement present from our
local garden centre) but I'll be going to recapture those later in the
summer because with the building work going on there they'll be
wrecked anyway. We'll soon have the climbing and shrub roses in flower
and before that the rhodos, azaleas and meconopsis. Mostly we've
avoided anything that will get tall except for a Magnolia obovata
seedling and a couple of young Rhododendron decorum that I got as seed
from the American Rhododendron Society and had been collected in
Yunnan - those 3 plants will dominate the furthest reaches of the
garden - hopefully in our lifetime.

Rod