Old 17-04-2011, 07:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Prescription Bottles / Seed Storage

wrote in message
Somewhere in my garden reading was a suggestion to use these for
storing seeds. There were also instructions on how to easily remove
the labels and the sticky stuff left behind. Was it here by chance? I
have tried the plastic version of Goo Be Gone and it doesn't work
well. It seems like it was something easy like ammonia or witch
hazel ??
Anyone have an idea?

I reuse lots of jars &bottles from many sources to use for many purposes -
jams/jellies and seed saving being the most common uses. I tend to like
TicTac boxes though for smaller seeds and dont' bother to remove their
labels - I just gum another new hand written label over the old one.
To remove labels I soak the jar/bottle in hot water and detergent - that
often gets the label off - sometimes it will come off in one piece because
the heat has softened the gum and it just peals of in one whole piece.
Sometimes it just softens the paper and that can be torn off leaving paper
and gum residue. When this happens I've found that Eucalyptus oil works to
get the label and gum off. Sometimes it has to be smeared on and left for a
while to penetrate and sometimes it will work almost instantly. Orange oil
also works but Eucalyptus oil is by far the best label gum remover I've ever
found.