View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Old 17-04-2011, 09:48 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi HelloMabel, I know the feeling ?? Also live in Cornwall and have suffered like everyone else. I think the fuchsia will still come back from the base and I would be inclined now to cut it hard down now.
I agree about the fuchsia, but as it acts as a support for a rampant chocolate vine I'm inclined to leave it unpruned.

Quote:
I think the willow leaved hebe may be dead but if its going to shoot (wnich I doubt) they will come from the base so again cut it back hard now.
Right, I'll do that.

Quote:
The hydrangea im suprised about, all mine are fine ?? and I suspect the reason you've had no flowers is that you have been pruning it in the winter ?? thus cutting off the flowers for the comming year ? What I do is to remove one fifth of the bush to 12" so that every 5 years the whole bush has been renewed (but the 4/5ths nor pruned, flower that summer) Yes, I think that to prune it and feed it is your only option but I think theres something else going on here ?? Does it get very dry in Summer under that cherry tree ?
No, I definitely haven't been pruning the hydrangea in the winter. I left it in the hopes that it would recover but it hasn't. I suspect the problem is it's in too-intense competition for water and nutrients from the cherry tree and the other shrubs around it. I'm tempted to move it - the question is where (full sun or dappled shade?) and when (now or ...?).

Quote:
My honey bush (Euphorbia mellifera) also suffered badly this winter and I see mine is comming from the base again ? I think I would leave it a little longer and see what happens ! This last winter has killed things that survived down here the year before and I think it was the timing of the extreme cold that did the dammage, we went from 13o C to -12oC very quickly, and the plants were all still very soft, had that weather arrived after Christmas like 2010, I'm sure the dammage wouldnt have been as bad.
I dug around the roots to see if there were any shoots or greenery but there weren't (in previous years there have been shoots by now). So I dug it up and replaced it with another one and some fresh compost. As you say, it was probably the fast frost and I hadn't wrapped it for protection.

Quote:
Lets hope these winters dont deter people from replacing the plants that gve our county its unique and wonderful flora that make it so special.
Best wishes, Lannerman
Thanks for all your suggestions - and I completely agree about our county.
Thanks again!