Old 18-04-2011, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default Prescription Bottles / Seed Storage

On Apr 17, 6:24*pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 17, 10:31 am, "Steve Peek" wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message

.. .

Billy wrote:

Ammonia, sounds right. Ammonia solutions are also used at wineries to
remove labels that went on poorly (usually timing in the labeling
machine with front and back labels), so that they can be re-labeled.

Too much work... I use paper envelopes (cheap if you buy 500 from an
office
supply mail order place) in an airtight food storage bin with a hinged
lid.
A couple of bottles of silica gel with screen tops at the end to keep
things dry. Works really well; I've got beet seed 10 years old that
still
germinates well. Of course, the ultimate is something vapor-tight in the
freezer.
I'm packing up a bunch of envelopes of stuff I have a lot of for a seed
swap in a couple of days. Good way to cross-pollinate with other
obsessed
gardeners!
For those in the Type II club, has anybody tried the small test strip
vials? They have some sort of desiccant liner, so ought to work pretty
well for small seeds.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

I'm a home brewer so I save those yeast vials. They will hold about 2
ounces
of okra seed and the screw cap seals well.

Great idea on the test strip containers btw!

Oh my gosh !!! We have home brewed for 17 years and owned a home brew
supply store for over 8. I never thought of yeast vials. I have an
attic full of them. Never mind the prescription bottles!! Where are
you located?
MJ

Western NC

Where do you get supplies? We had the store in Morrisville, outside of
Raleigh / Cary area.